Monday, March 16, 2015

Nordic Adventures 2015. Part 2: The PO-12 rhythm



In part 1 of my 2015 Nordic Adventures I discovered the latest inventions of the Swedish electronic/design brand Teenage Engineering which teamed up with the Swedish fashion brand Cheap Monday. Three small pocket-sized musical instruments which you could compare with Korg's small size Monotron-synthesizers.  As soon as I returned home I did some research watching the youtube-films on Cheap Monday's website. Although the actual instruments look really really unfinished (they are shipped without a casing which you can buy them separately or make your own) looking at the displays you can see the fun of engineering it. The OP12-Rhythm (drumcomputer) has a sewing machine stitching rhythms while the OP14-Sub with the looks of a submarine generates the bass. Finally there is the OP16-Factory manufactures melodies.

At first I was keen on getting the Factory but as the youtube samples really didn't arouse me I decided to buy me a OP12. Only 3 days later I still feel very lucky. It took some time to get to know the basics as some functions are hidden. It is a fun item to work with and with the proper know-how it will find it's way to the stage as it IS a true musical instrument!

Unfortunately pricing went up.. It costs about $59 worldwide but about 69euro's in Europe. Nevertheless it is actually worth it. And to be honest, I think it is superior to any of the Monotron's.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home